The Swiss PEFC Scheme was first endorsed in 2001 and has been re-endorsed a further two times. The system maintained its endorsement in March 2022.
2020 system documentation
2020/21 system assessment
- Status: Assessment finished, system endorsement maintained
- Type: Revised system
- Assessor: CK Services
- System submitted for assessment: 1 October 2020
- Consultation: 8 February - 9 April 2021
- Final assessment report submitted: 3 October 2021
- Corrective actions submitted: 7 March 2022
Watch the recording of the webinar to find out more about this national system.
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 28 September 2020
- Review date: 28 September 2025
- Endorsement maintained: 19 October 2021
- Re-endorsed: 29 July 2014
- Re-endorsed: 4 March 2008
- Endorsed: 15 October 2001
- Joined PEFC: 30 June 1999
History before PEFC
PEFC Switzerland was founded in 2001 under the name Steering Committee Q/PEFC. The managing body was Waldwirtschaft Schweiz. As of 01.01.2009 LIGNUM Holzwirtschaft Schweiz (LIGNUM, timber industry Switzerland) is the managing body of PEFC Switzerland.
Lignum is the umbrella organisation of the Swiss forest- and timber industry. It unites associations and organisations of the timber supply chain with 80,000 jobs reaching from forestry to sawmills, from commerce and timber production to carpentry firms, joineries and furniture producers. Furthermore, it includes institutions from research and education, public corporations and companies, architects and engineers.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
One of the main benefits is to promote the topic of Responsible Sourcing and through that motivate companies to prove their compliance with ecological minimum standards. Sustainable construction is steadily reaching a higher level of importance in new buildings, conversions as well as in institutional buildings.
The conservation of resources and the sustainable origin of the construction materials play a significant role. Our goal must be not only to support the use of sustainable building products, but also to show that their origin and processing comply with recognised ecological and social standards.
There are different reasons for companies and forest owners to choose PEFC certification. In addition to the classical certification, which makes the origin of the wood traceable from the forest to processing and trade, further reasons for choosing PEFC can be:
- Traceability until the tree stump also means authenticity – from the region, for the region!
- Emotional and rational commitment to the location