Making the best even better: PEFC revises core standards
26 January 2016 PEFC system news
Stakeholders globally are invited to nominate candidates to participate in working groups for the revision of some of the core standards of PEFC, the world's largest forest certification system.
The standards include PEFC's global requirements for sustainable forest management, forest certification procedures, standard setting procedures at national level, and the PEFC assessment and endorsement process of national/regional forest certification systems. The nomination deadline is 22 February 2016.
"We review our standards every five years to ensure that they incorporate latest knowledge, best practices, and evolving stakeholder expectations," explained Ben Gunneberg, CEO of PEFC International. "This process is of fundamental importance as these documents define not only the environmental, social and economic requirements for sustainable forest management, but also how implementation in the forest is certified."
"Furthermore, we are reviewing the standards that provide the framework for the development of standards at national level, which is fundamental to PEFC as a bottom-up organization, and how compliance of national standards with PEFC's Sustainability Benchmarks is verified," Mr. Gunneberg continued.
PEFC is looking for nominations for the following working groups (WG) for the revision of PEFC's technical documents for the 2016/2017 revision cycle:
- Standard Setting WG: Revision of Standard Setting – Requirements (PEFC ST 1001:2010), approved in November 2010 and entered into force in May 2011.
- SFM Requirements WG: Revision of Sustainable Forest Management – Requirements (PEFC ST 1003:2010), approved in November 2010 and entered into force in May 2011.
- Endorsement Procedures WG: Revision of Endorsement and Mutual Recognition of National Systems and their Revision (GD 1007:2012), approved in November 2012 and entered into force in January 2013.
- Forest Management Certification Procedures WG: Revision of Group Forest Management Certification – Requirements (PEFC ST 1002:2010), approved in November 2010 and entered into force in May 2011, and Requirements for Certification Bodies (CBs) conducting PEFC FM certification as defined in Annex 6 of the PEFC Technical Document. Annex 6 was originally approved by PEFC in November 2002 and amended in 2003, 2006 and 2007. The revision of the requirements commenced in 2012, but was not finalized.
To secure the widest participation possible, PEFC will also engage in direct and public global consultations at various stages of the revision process. It is anticipated that the revision is finalized by the end of 2017.
During the revision process, each working group is expected to meet at least three times in person and in additional conference calls. Please refer to the Project Paper for further information.
Stakeholders are also invited to comment on the scope of the revision process.
Please note that participants are expected to attend the first WGs meeting in person. These first meetings are scheduled to take place in Geneva (Switzerland) on the following dates:
- WG Standard Setting: 14-15 April 2016
- WG SFM Requirements: 9-11 May 2016
- WG Endorsement Procedures: 01-02 June 2016
- WG Forest Management Certification Procedures: 12-13 May 2016
Expenses incurred due to a WG member’s work within the WG, especially for travelling, accommodation, phone bills, meals and working time, etc. will not be reimbursed by PEFC, unless otherwise agreed with PEFC’s Secretary General in writing.