The Sustainable Green Ecosystem Council was first endorsed in 2016 and subsequently maintained its endorsement in January 2022.
2021 system elements
|Sustainable forest management standard||Yes|
|Sustainable forest management standard (plantation)||No|
|Sustainable forest management standard (trees outside forests)||No|
|Group certification requirements||Yes|
|Chain of custody requirements||Yes|
|Certification body requirements for chain of custody||Yes|
|Full system documentation||Yes|
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 30 March 2021
- Review date: 30 March 2026
2021 system assessment
- Status: Assessment finished, system endorsement maintained
- Assessment Report
- Type: Assessment of revised system
- Assessor: Article Three
- System submitted for assessment: 30 April 2021
- Consultation: 17 May - 16 July 2021
Watch the recording of the webinar to find out more about this national system.
- Re-endorsed: 31 January 2022
- Endorsed: 3 June 2016
- Joined PEFC: 29 July 2014
History before PEFC
- 2002: Proposal of a forest certification scheme suitable for forests in Japan by the Committee for the Establishment of SGEC Forest Certification.
- 2003: The "SGEC Forest Certification Scheme" was established.
- 2011: Reform of SGEC including i) Registration as a corporate body, ii) Revision of standards, iii) Adoption of third party certification was implemented.
- 2014: SGEC became a member of PEFC.
- 2016: SGEC was endorsed by PEFC.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
- Reliability of the consumers to SGEC will increase by participating in the PEFC member countries.
- Broader expansion of the CoC certification network by connecting SGEC’s and PEFC’s CoC
- The PEFC label is beneficial to the exporters of domestic timber with the label of PEFC.
- Integration of experience and information between SGEC and PEFC will be valuable.