History before PEFC
- 2002: Proposal of a forest certification scheme suitable for forests in Japan by the Committee for the Establishment of SGEC Forest Certification.
- 2003: The "SGEC Forest Certification Scheme" was established.
- 2011: Reform of SGEC including i) Registration as a corporate body, ii) Revision of standards, iii) Adoption of third party certification was implemented.
- 2014: SGEC became a member of PEFC.
- 2016: SGEC was endorsed by PEFC.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
- Reliability of the consumers to SGEC will increase by participating in the PEFC member countries.
- Broader expansion of the CoC certification network by connecting SGEC’s and PEFC’s CoC
- The PEFC label is beneficial to the exporters of domestic timber with the label of PEFC.
- Integration of experience and information between SGEC and PEFC will be valuable.
Japanese system information
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 25 March 2015
- Review date: 25 March 2020