The PEFC Ireland Certification Scheme for Sustainable Forest Management achieved PEFC endorsement in December 2011. The latest system is currently under assessment.
2010 system documentation
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 13 October 2010
- Review date: 14 November 2019*
* The review date is linked to the approval date of the revised Sustainable Forest Management standard PEFC ST 1003 (14 November 2018).
2022-23 system assessment
- Status: Public consultation finished, assessment ongoing
- Type: Revised system (maintaining the endorsement)
- Download the system documentation
- System submitted for assessment: 16 May 2022
- Consultation: 12 December 2022 - 9 February 2023
- Assessor: To be announced
Watch the recording of the webinar to find out more about this national system.
- Endorsed: 23 December 2011
- Joined PEFC: 30 June 1999
History before PEFC
Sponsored by the Irish Timber Growers Association, PEFC Ireland was formed in early 2008 in recognition of the anticipated requirement for forest certification in Ireland, especially in the private sector.
PEFC Ireland was admitted to membership of PEFC International at the General Assembly held in Canberra, Australia, in October 2008.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
PEFC is a remarkable organisation. The alliance brings together a diverse group of committed professional practitioners from all branches of the forestry industry throughout the world, with expertise in both forest management and wood processing/manufacturing, and a passion for sustainable development. Members share their experiences from all corners of the globe, and help is always on hand.
To quote William Street (Chairman, PEFC Council 2009-15) "PEFC is the only organisation I have ever been involved with where everyone trusts each other" - a very powerful statement and one we wholeheartedly agree with. PEFC Ireland has benefited enormously from this trust, and indeed the help and friendship offered by all the other members.