The PAFC Gabon Forest Certification System was endorsed in 2009 and re-endorsed in 2014. The new regional system for the Congo Basin, currently under assessment, will substitute the national system once it is endorsed.
2013 system documentation
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 20 July 2013
- Review date: 14 November 2019*
* The review date is linked to the approval date of the revised Sustainable Forest Management standard PEFC ST 1003 (14 November 2018).
2020/21 system assessment (regional system)
- Status: Public consultation finished, assessment ongoing
- Type: Endorsement of a new system
- Download the system documentation
- System submitted for assessment: 22 December 2020
- Consultation: 1 February - 1 April 2021
- Assessor: Form international
Watch the recording of the webinar to find out more about this national system.
- Re-endorsed: 12 November 2014
- Endorsed: 24 April 2009
- Joined PEFC: 14 December 2004
History before PEFC
The Pan African Forest Certification (PAFC) is the Gabonese system for the certification of good forest management and wood and forest products traceability from sustainably managed forests. This certification system was developed and is managed by the PAFC Gabon NGO, created in October 2004. The same year, PAFC Gabon became the first African member of the PEFC alliance.
Developed in 2005 by PAFC Gabon with the support of national and international experts, the Gabonese forest certification system is a document defining the standards adopted for the certification of forests and products from Gabon's sustainably managed forests. The national system was recognized by PEFC in 2009.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
Being part of the PEFC alliance allows PAFC certification system and Gabonese forest products to have international recognition.