Viet Nam Forest Certification Scheme (VFCS)
History before PEFC
Sustainable Forest management has been implemented in Vietnam since the 1990s. The second phase (from 2006 to 2020) of the Vietnam Forestry Development Strategy has been approved by the Vietnamese government.
In 2017, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) assigned Vietnam Administration of Forestry (VNFOREST) and Vietnamese Academy of Forest Science (VAFS) to develop Sustainable Forest Management (FM) and Chain of Custody standards for Vietnam Forest Certification Scheme (VFCS).
In 2018, the Prime Minister approved the Project on Sustainable Forest Management and Forest Certification through Decision No. 1288/QD-TTg, in which the Vietnam Forest Certification Scheme (VFCS) was established and operated under Vietnam Administration of Forestry – Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
On January 11th 2019, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development issued the Decision to establish the Vietnam Forest Certification Office (VFCO). VFCO is responsible for all activities in terms of sustainable forest management and forest certification and issues national standards and guidelines of the VFCS.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
(1) To manage and use sustainable forest resources, biodiversity conservation; to protect ecological environment and values of forest environmental services; and to promote forest certification in Vietnam to meet the requirements of domestic and international markets.
(2) To create a legal source of plantation timber in forest areas implemented by sustainable forest management.
(3) To improve the value of plantation timber and contribute to poverty reduction for people who depend on forestry for their livelihoods, as well as increase the export values of timbers and forest products for the forestry sector.
Vietnamese system information
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: August 2019
- Review date: August 2024
- Endorsed: 29 October 2020
- Webinar: 18 October 2019 - listen to the recording
- Public consultation: 25 September - 25 November 2019
- Joined PEFC: 30 May 2019