PEFC welcomes APRIL Group as International Stakeholder memberFeb 02 2016
APRIL Group, one of the largest pulp and paper companies in the world, has been accepted by PEFC as an International Stakeholder member.
“By joining the PEFC alliance we have the opportunity to share our experience as an advocate for sustainable forestry, while benefiting from the insights shared by other members,” said Lucita Jasmin, APRIL Group Director for External Affairs.
“As an industry based in the global South, there is much to contribute from our journey, particularly on the aspect of integrating social development and poverty alleviation in our sustainability approach. We are also eager to participate in conversations that help advance the standards and best practices of sustainable forestry.”
APRIL Group achieved PEFC Sustainable Forest Management certification for its first forest area in June earlier this year. The company now has more than 60 percent of its concession in Indonesia PEFC-certified, adding to the existing PEFC Chain of Custody certification awarded to its manufacturing operations.
“PEFC is pleased to welcome APRIL Group as a PEFC International Stakeholder member,” said Ben Gunneberg, CEO of PEFC International, following the award of the membership certificate to APRIL at the PEFC General Assembly. “We are looking forward to enhanced opportunities for collaboration in our common effort to promote responsible forestry.”
As a member, APRIL Group will play an active role in supporting PEFC’s commitment to promote sustainable forest management in Indonesia and around the world.
For APRIL Group, membership will enable it to participate in PEFC's annual General Assembly as well as the opportunity to join PEFC Working Groups and Committees and to collaborate on specific projects.
With APRIL Group joining as an International Stakeholder member, PEFC now counts 22 International Stakeholder members, as well as 41 national members.
Benefits & Opportunities of PEFC Membership
- Participate in PEFC's annual General Assembly as a member of PEFC Council with full-voting rights
- Join PEFC Working Groups and Committees on relevant topics such as Standards Revision, Marketing, and Regional Promotions
- Nominate representatives for consideration to the PEFC Board of Directors
- Collaborate on specific projects of mutual interest
- Stay informed and abreast of PEFC developments throughout the year
- Communicate your PEFC engagement and involvement
- Support PEFC's promotion of sustainable forest management and responsible procurement