PEFC Sustainable Forest Management certification provides forest owners and managers with independent recognition of their responsible management practices.
As consumers, businesses and governments become more concerned with their environmental footprints, markets for certified paper and wood products continue to grow.
PEFC certification provides forest owners and managers – families, communities and companies – with access to the global marketplace for certified products.
With more than half of all imported wood in markets such as the United Kingdom and the Netherlands PEFC-certified, our certification provides a real market advantage for owners and managers of PEFC-certified forests.
PEFC sets highest standards for forest certification and sustainable forest management in line with society’s ever evolving understanding and expectations. PEFC's Sustainability Benchmarks are based on broad societal consensus expressed in international, intergovernmental, multi-stakeholder processes and guidelines involving thousands of interested parties.
Obtaining PEFC Sustainable Forest Management certification demonstrates that management practices meet requirements for best practice in sustainable forest management, including:
- Biodiversity of forest ecosystems is maintained or enhanced
- The range of ecosystem services that forests provide is sustained
- they provide food, fibre, biomass and wood
- they are a key part of the water cycle, act as sinks capturing and storing carbon, and prevent soil erosion
- they provide habitats and shelter for people and wildlife; and
- they offer spiritual and recreational benefits
- Chemicals are substituted by natural alternatives or their use is minimized
- Workers' rights and welfare are protected
- Local employment is encouraged
- Indigenous peoples' rights are respected
- Operations are undertaken within the legal framework and following best practices
Sign up for Newsletters
Contact a PEFC-notified certifier in your country for further information about PEFC certification.
Trace PEFC certificates!
Obtain comprehensive information about any PEFC Forest Management or Chain of Custody certificate.